Thursday, December 13, 2012

Advantages and Disadvantages Between Controlled Media and Uncontrolled Media



            Public relation practitioners deliver their messages through controlled and uncontrolled media. Controlled media are the kind that can be created and controlled by the firm such as advertisement, speeches, paid programs, and employee newsletters. Uncontrolled media are the kind that cannot be controlled by the firm such as television, radio, and newspapers. Controlled and uncontrolled media each have their advantages and disadvantages.
            The advantages of controlled media include the ability to program the channel subjectively by selecting the exact words and images that get sent and also by controlling when and how often the message is repeated. Disadvantages of controlled media include lack of credibility, and cost. When listening to an advertisement or a promotional speech, receivers know that you’re controlling the message so they may not be convinced easily due to lack of credibility.
            Uncontrolled media have lesser problem with credibility and costs. Uncontrolled media broadcast their message to a large scope of people and receivers know that the message is not controlled by the subject. Using uncontrolled media is significantly less expensive but still the firm may need to provide news releases or meet with reporters frequently. News media can provide a third party endorsement or independent endorsement of a news story. The disadvantage of uncontrolled media is that they are not controllable. Public relation practitioners may be able to influence the media but cannot directly control the words and images.
Controlled and uncontrolled media each have their advantages and disadvantages. A combination of the two is generally used in public relation campaigns. Controlled media provide precise messages that would lead to reaching company’s objectives; uncontrolled media offer stronger credibility and are less expensive.
 Resource: Guth David W, Marsh Charles. Public Relations A value-driven approach, Pearson: 4th Edition. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Shawn,
    You have nicely described the advantages and disadvantages of controlled media and uncontrolled media. Thanks for sharing this useful info with us.

    Do you know how to choose the best tech PR firm for a company?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for providing the information. I would like to tell that I have recently found a firm named amgw agency who is providing both controlled and uncontrolled media to promote the business.
    Top Advertising Agencies Miami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys what are the threats of uncontrolled media?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Approximately good information and so useful globally great tganks.

    ReplyDelete

  5. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use eggs. I know we have to go abroad. I was terrified. I didn't know where to go and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended Dr Itua to me from western Africa I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country but I know they have powerful gifts on herbal medicines and I was afraid because of the language barrier. Anyway, she convinced me to give it a try. She told me that Dr Itua can also cure my prostate cancer which gives me more motivation to give a try to Dr Itua herbal center medicines. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. I ordered two four bottles and I drank it as instructed and everything went well. My prostate cancer is gone. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses natural herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. We contacted Dr Itua and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. Dr Itua was so confident and hopeful he projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua herbal Cure . Don’t be afraid and just do it!
    Dr Itua can cure the following diseases: Sickle Cell,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Cancer,Autism,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease, Doctor Itua Contact Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats-App Chat : +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete